Yard No. 644

built by Fairfield Govan in 1931



Yard Number 644, was named JEANIE DEANS when launched on Tuesday, 07/04/1931 by Fairfield Govan , for 1931- 47 London & North Eastern Railway Company Glasgow .

Her main engines were built by the shipbuilder , she was powered by Diagonal steam triple expansion 3cyl (HP 26", IP 41.5", LP 66" x 60" stroke)/ Double ended boiler 180psi / Converted to Oil firing by D&W Henderson , Meadowside during winter 1956/57. Boiler retubed 1967. Her last recorded name was QUEEN OF THE SOUTH

JEANIE DEANS arrived for scrapping on 28/12/1967

Ship Particulars:
Built: 1931
Ship Type: Paddle Steamer
Tonnage: 839 grt | 402 nrt
Length: 258 feet
Breadth: 58 feet extreme over paddleboxes
Draught: 7 feet
Owner History:
1931- 47 London & North Eastern Railway Company Glasgow
1948-51 British Transport Commission
1951-65 Caledonian Steam Packet Co Ltd Gourock
1965-68 Coastal Steam Packet Co Ltd London

Additional Information: Requisitioned by the Admiralty in September 1939 converted as minesweeper and renamed HMS Jeanie Deans. Flotilla leader of 11th Minesweeper Flotilla based at Ardrossan. Moved south 1940. Refitted as an AA ship in 1941 and served on the Thames under pennant no 4
29. Nicknamed "old wooden wheels" by other crews in the Thames but in true Clyde tradition showed a clean pair of wheels to General Steam Navigation Co's "ROYAL EAGLE" whose crew laid claim to having the fastest paddler in the world. Returned to Clyde June 1945 and was extensively refurbished by A&J Inglis, underwent trials 30/05/1946 achieving 17.5knots and returned to commercial service 01/06/1946. Converted from Coal to Oil firing 1956/57. Fitted with radar during 1960 and finally withdrawn 29/09/1964 amidst fleet cuts. Sold for service on Thames 1965/66 but due to boiler & wheel trouble was towed from the Thames to Antwerp for demolition 26/12/1967. Only LNER paddler to retain black paddle boxes to end of career.
Previous update by Gavin Stewart
Previous update by Brian Hargreaves